Friday, 20 November 2020

Eat - Sleep - Invest - Exercise




Due to the pandemic, I got the chance, unwillingly, to experience the 14-day quarantine in a hotel. There are still differences in terms of freedom and space as compared to staying at home with constraints to move around freely.

Hotels are badly hit by the pandemic, hence I can understand when they are used as quarantine centre, it is not national service, they are very cautious on cost control with the hope to make small profit from it. For example, no tooth brush and tooth paste provided until you request for it. There are 4 bottle water provided upon check in and any additional bottle will be charged. Reason being tap water is safe to consume.

The meals provided are all right though I expect something more from a 5-star hotel. A friend commented the meals look pathetic and I responded with "that is the price to freedom". It is perfectly ok for me as I am eagerly waiting to be united with my family, after separated by more than 11 months.

So what can I do with the 14-day uninterrupted life in a hotel? ESIE : Eat-Sleep-Invest-Exercise.

As there is zero interruption in a quarantine place, I have the peace of mind to reflect on the past 11 months when I was arranging the funeral for my dad and mum, sold the house that me and parent had been staying, found some precious stuff while clearing the house, learnt more about what my parents had gone through, etc. I have never been so convinced that nothing else matter when a person lost his mobility/health.   

 I have been allocating more to ETFs lately, especially overseas market. Based on my reading about this instrument, it attracts lots of inflow from actively managed Mutual Fund and will become the main stream of stock investment for many investors or public who do not wish to pick stock on their own. the obvious reason is actively managed fund with higher fees do not necessarily beat the return from  passive ETFs. Furthermore, it provides sufficient diversification to my portfolio. Also, the risk of picking a look like sure winner that fall badly (eg Alibaba) is also mitigated through ETF diversification. Investment is made easier with ETF and we need not to study too much of individual stock, hence more time for other activities (well, I still enjoy doing analysis on individual company).  

The more I read about ETFs, the more I am convinced it is a very good instrument for working family to invest via ETF as they may not have the time to study individual stock. Just be careful that not all ETFs are created equal and there are different type of ETFs eg inverse, leveraged which we need to be aware what it means if we choose these ETFs. There are lots of write up or youtube on pros and cons of ETF investing. For me, 2 of the most compelling reasons - need not worry about cash call and individual company not performing. So, not much action required.

Investing is so interesting as there is continuous learning about investment options, market etc, most important of all, about our own character/style/risk appetite/greed and fear tolerance. Another 12 days to go before I get to breathe in fresh air - yes, freedom to do what you enjoy is very precious in life. 






 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Are there many low hanging fruits in stock market now?

When I was a little kid and lived in a small village, one of my activities to pass time was looking for low hanging fruits from mango, rose ...